Sunday, April 17, 2016

Simple vegan Spring dinner: Toasted baguette with marinara, vegan cheese, Side of steamed asparagus and raw veggies

It is Spring so I like to make light, healthy meals that aren't too heavy. I love all the beautiful flowers that have bloomed so of course when I see a pretty bunch of them I must snap a pic. The recipe I made below is simple and super easy to follow. I am not into overly complicated recipes unless it is a particularly special occasion and I get some help in the kitchen.



I got most of my items at my local Trader Joes. They have quite a few vegan things. The baguette I got was vegan. It is usually listed on the bag but if it isn't and you aren't sure you can always check the ingredients or ask a staff member. I toasted the bread and warmed up about 2 tablespoons of marinara on top than I topped that with one slice of vegan Chao cheese that I got at Whole Foods. I sliced 1/2 a red bell pepper and spread a generous dollop of hummus on top for protein. I steamed some asparagus (make sure you steam in pan with water and put a lid on top) I like mine a bit al dente and less mushy but if you like it softer you can steam for over 10 minutes. I always dry my asparagus on a paper towl and let it cool. Sometimes I place a dollop of vegan mayo or olive oil and vinegar on the side to dip my steamed veggies in. I chopped up an organic tomato  for more vitamin C and color. I don't like all my food touching too much. I am like a little kid so if you are like me try putting all food on a larger plate and it makes for cooler pictures too if you take pics. 

1 comment:

  1. I trust trader joes for flowers more than other stores.

    ReplyDelete